Monday, April 11, 2011

OMG..my kid has been bullied!!


Photo source: http://www.kidsenabled.org

Initially, my kid Khairi adjusted very well with his KAFA and tuition classes. Recently, he seems reluctant to attend both classes. He told me that he felt unhappy. What's on earth might be going on? Yesterday, I got the bitter answer. Other kids have been teasing him by name-calling - "curry". (Ayoyoo...budak kecik..penat kami memilih nama terbaik buat Khairi..) I met one of them at the tuition class. When I asked him to stop, he just showed his ignorant face and keep on calling him 'curry' in front of me and others. Hmm.. I felt so angry and "kasihan" with this kid. How is his upbringing at home? Did he been taught to respect "orang tua" and ask for forgiveness when did something wrong? See?? this kid also taunt and hurt my feeling!!..he is now bullying me.. oh ..God! I'm a victim too..

Teasing is normal and not harmful in our daily life. We teased our siblings and friends.At some point, we found it funny. However, when it crosses the boundary.. becomes hurtful and constantly unkind..it just need to be stopped! It is now called bullying! I simply don't want to just 'brush off' this and just asked my kid to 'tough out' with. I have to deal with it because I need to protect my kid. Am I sound paranoid? I did some research on kids bully. Bullying is intentional tormenting in physical, verbal, or psychological ways!!It can range from hitting, shoving, name-calling, threats, and mocking to extorting money and treasured possessions. So.. mums out there.. spreading rumors and shunning others in social networking, websites and facebook also been considered as bully.

I found out that bully can leave deep emotional scars that last for long.In some cases, it can culminate in violent threats, vandalism or even someone getting seriously hurt. I know that I have to do something to help him or at least to cope with it. I have to lessen its lasting impact.I pray to Allah S.W.T. that this will not affect my kid's sense of self-worth and his future relationship. Even if bullying as not an issue to you right now, it is crucial to always communicate and discuss with our kids so they will be prepared if it does happen in the future or in my case..again. The question is... Do our children knows that if they have been bullied.. or understand if that happen to the others?

4 comments:

Lieza said...

alamak.. kesian khairi.. cikgu2 kat situ biarkan je ke ejek mengejek nih? adehhh...

asamkeping said...

Lieza, Cikgu KAFA sudah dimaklumkan dan berjanji akan pantau budak-budak tu..and I hope the tuition management especially the teachers will take action too..

Al-Manar said...

In general children are tougher than we think. But this does not make us any less worried when a child is being bullied. I would certainly keep the pressure on the school authority to watch the situation and act.

asamkeping said...

Dear PokCik,
I'm really appreciate your kind advice.. Totally agree with you..